Parenting!
So today I got THE question! Nope not quite that question (although i'm surprised since I am pregnant and have a VERY inquisitive 4 year old!) but the "Why did Gammy and Grandpa get divorced?" question. Thank goodness I was in the kitchen and she was sitting at the table because I probably would have fallen over!
I knew this day was coming because she knows that Gammy is my mom and that Grandpa is my dad and that he is married to Iozete and that they (my mom and dad) do not live together but she has always just accepted that and not asked any questions. Soooo..... I was not prepared this morning when she asked out of the clear blue sky while eating her oatmeal!
My parents have been divorced since I was 3 so this is not new for me and to be honest I don't remember them ever being together. Yes it would be nice to have parents that have always been married but to be perfectly honest I would not have changed my situation because I do not feel I would be who I am today or where I am today if they had stayed together. I'm also thankful that they got divorced when I was so young because I just didn't know any different.
Now, let me BRAG on my parents! Since I have been an adult they have been ROCKSTARS! I mean I could not ask for better!! I really mean that Mom and Dad. They are so good at being together and they never bring up issues. It's not awkward for me in the least. If they both come for Thanksgiving it works out great and they will even both stay at the house. I know this is not the case for most kids whose parents are divorced and I am SO THANKFUL for this. Because they have been so excellent and have both loved Brexley (and Michael and I) to pieces I think this is why she has never mentioned the divorce word at all.
So your probably wondering what my response was.....
Well I bailed or as I liked to say deferred. I said well you'll have to ask Gammy or Grandpa that. 1. I wasn't sure what to say and 2. they are the ones who divorced so it's really theirs to tell. SO, Mom and Dad I'm sorry but at least this will give you some time to think about what you want to tell her before she almost knocks ya'll over with the question when your visiting!
I LOVE YOU BOTH!!
If anyone out there has any ideas how to handle these kind of questions I am open to suggestions. We never want to cover up anything or lie about anything to Brexley, but there are some questions when their that young that I just don't know how to answer!
What a blessing that they are so cordial to each other! I wish more families could be so decent.
ReplyDeleteI think bailing on that question was a good call! Haha. Not sure how to respond to so many of the questions that come out of rhe mouths of babes. Definitely keep us on our toes!